A GUIDE TO BUSINESS CONTRACT HIRE
Business Contract Hire (BCH) is a car lease that allows you to drive a new vehicle over an agreed period of time and mileage. This gives you cost-effective access to new vehicles and none of those large drops in value normally associated with owning a new vehicle outright. You also have the option to include vehicle service maintenance and repairs in a maintenance rental, which means you can budget predictably for all your business motoring. In order to take out a BCH agreement you must be a sole trader, partnerships, limited company or a public limited company.
When your contract hire agreement ends there are two options available to you. These are:
- Return the vehicle to the finance company.
- Get an extension on the lease in agreement with the finance company.
There is no option to purchase the vehicle. The vehicle should be returned to the leasing company in a condition that meets the BVRLA ‘Fair wear and tear’ guidelines, otherwise charges may be incurred.
SO WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CONTRACT HIRE?
- Low monthly repayments
- Flexible terms from 24 to 60 months
- Option to extend the lease period at the end of the contract
- Return vehicle at end of contract and start a new agreement on a new vehicle
- No hassles with selling the car or losing money on the car’s value
- Better Cash Flow Management - Your business is only paying for the depreciation of the vehicle over the length of your lease contract. This frees up more cash for your business to spend on development and growth.
- Repayments can be claimed as a company expense - If the cars you lease emit equal to or less than 130g/km of CO2, you can claim back 100% of the rental payments against tax. If the CO2 emissions exceed this, you can claim back rentals against tax, but only at 85%.
- VAT Benefits - 50% of your VAT on contract hire payments can be claimed back and 100% of VAT on a maintenance package can be reclaimed.
- The leasing company handles all administration of the vehicle throughout your contract which eliminates the need for businesses to spend valuable resources doing this in-house.
- Leased cars are not counted as assets. Therefore your company’s balance sheet will show an immediate improvement in the “rate of return” on capital employed (via the asset value of the balance sheet being reduced).
AND WHAT ARE THE POTENTIAL RISKS YOU FACE?
- If the vehicle is returned with damage that goes beyond established industry guidelines – known as BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear you may incur charges to repair that damage.
- If you terminate the lease early, you may be liable to pay an early termination fee.
- If you have driven the vehicle beyond the agreed mileage limit, you will be charged an excess mileage rate which is outlined in your agreement.
You should note that there are two types of contract hire available: Non-regulated (limited companies) and regulated (partnerships and sole traders). The only difference between each of these is that you will be able to make contract amendments to Non-Regulated Contract Hire agreements. This includes amending mileage limits. This option is not available for any Regulated Contract Hire agreements.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN BUSINESS CONTRACT HIRE?
- Complete support and guidance throughout your time with us
- Road Tax included throughout the contract
- Fully bespoke contract, term and mileage – discussed, developed and tailored to your individual needs.
- Tailored payment plans according to your needs.
- A comprehensive vehicle maintenance package (if selected as part of the contract) including all servicing and maintenance.
- Quotation can be based on net rental, effective rental and Whole Life Cost.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR BCH?
There are certain criteria points which need to be met in order to qualify for a business car lease contract:
- You must be a sole trader, partnership, Ltd or PLC
- You must be able to provide bank statements and/or audited accounts
- You need to produce proof of address and proof of ID for the main company director
- You should have a good credit rating (each application uses different criteria so we can't advise on specifics with regards to credit ratings)
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
You choose the manufacturer and model of car that you want and we will manage the rest for you – it's very straightforward. All you do is pay one fixed monthly fee, keeping your costs low and predictable.
- Check our special offers or use the quick finder tool on our homepage, you can use our advanced search filters to find specific models.
- Select the car you want, customise your terms and send us an enquiry
- We will then contact you to finalise your deal
TIP! Minimise your benefit in kind tax by searching for cars with a low CO2.
If you would prefer to speak to us straight away, no problem! Give us a call on 0344 387 2727 and one of our friendly advisors will be on hand to help.