Frequently Asked Questions About Leasing
- What are the criteria for getting a lease car?
- What does the payment structure mean?
- What happens if I want to end my lease early?
- What is the minimum period I can lease a car for?
- What if I exceed my contracted mileage?
- What is included in the maintenance package?
- Is insurance included in the standard lease price?
- Is road tax included in the standard lease price?
- What happens at the end of my lease?
- Can I part exchange my current car as part of the lease agreement?
- Where do the cars you lease come from?
- What locations do you supply cars to?
1. What are the criteria for getting a lease car?
There are certain criteria which need to be met in order to get a car lease contract. It is essential that you have to be over 18 years of age, hold a valid UK driving licence, have 3 years' employment history and a reasonable credit rating. Without these 4 profile requirements, no finance company will consider you for a lease.
2. What does the payment structure mean?
A lot of people are unsure as to what the payment structures of personal car leasing and contract hire actually mean. Here is a simple breakdown with an example:
Example - 3 + 35. This would be a 3 year contract made up of 36 individual monthly payments. The initial rental is 3 x the standard monthly rental amount, followed by 35 standard rentals. So, if the standard monthly payment was £119.99, the initial payment would be £359.97, making the contract 1 payment of £359.97 and then 35 payments of £119.99.
3. What happens if I want to end my lease early?
If you want to end your car lease before the agreed contract period is up, you need to negotiate a settlement with the finance provider. This is usually around half the value of your remaining payments but can vary from funder to funder.
4. What is the minimum period I can lease a car for?
The minimum period you can lease out for is 24 months. Anything under this contract length would be a short-term hire and would need to be arranged using our car hire section.
5. What happens if I exceed my agreed mileage?
If you go over your agreed mileage, there is a small surcharge to pay for each mile above this. This is usually in the range of 3-11p per mile and changes from car to car (ask you’re advisor what the excess is on the specific deal you’re looking at).
6. What is included in the optional maintenance package?
Maintenance covers all routine maintenance, servicing, tyres, batteries, exhausts and any necessary car repair costs but not accident damage. For more details see the full car lease maintenance guide page.
7. Is Insurance included as part of the standard lease price?
Unfortunately insurance is not included as part of the standard monthly car leasing price. This has to be arranged separately by the individual or business leasing the car. See our car leasing insurance guide for more information.
8. Is Road tax included as part of the standard lease price?
Road tax is included as part of your standard monthly car leasing price. There is no need to apply a physical disc to your vehicle as tax is dealt with digitally now.
9. What happens at the end of my lease?
You simply hand your car back to the leasing company meeting the BVRLA’s standard fair, wear and tear guidelines and take out a new lease on a new car or extend your lease contract by a further 6 or 12 months (if a business contract).
10. Can I part exchange my current car as part of the lease agreement?
Unfortunately car leasing brokers cannot accept your old vehicle as part-payment for your new lease vehicle.
11. Where do the cars you lease come from?
All cars and vans are supplied from manufacturers' dealer groups. We have a preferred panel of dealers who offer excellent customer service levels to our customers.
12. What locations do you supply cars to?
We're a Glasgow Car Leasing company, but supply cars to personal and business customers across the whole of the UK. We have hundreds of customers in cities such as London, Manchester, Liverpool and Edinburgh to name a few.