CAN I KEEP MY PRIVATE REGISTRATION?
We understand the importance of displaying your cherished plate on your new lease car. There is usually no problem with this but it is subject to obtaining the finance provider’s permission.
We have put together a step by step process that should help you on your way.
- When you remove your plate from it’s current car you will place it on ‘retention’. This means that the plate is not currently in use but you can hold onto it until you want to use it again. You can do this on the gov.uk website. Once you have done this you will get a V778 certificate proving you still have the right to use the plate.
- With any leased car, the finance provider is the registered owner of the vehicle; they must be named as the nominee on the license plate certificate. This is done on the retention certificate in section 2.
- Some of the finance providers may also require a declaration document to be completed.
- Send the V778 form to us to be processed – Intelligent Car Leasing, Skypark1, 9th Floor, 8 Elliot Place, Glasgow G3 8EP. The finance provider may also charge an administration fee to process this so it is best to check with us before sending your document in case additional payment is required.
- Once this has been processed, the finance provider will then allow you to fit the plate to your new car yourself.
End of Contract
At the end of your contract, you need to take the plate off the car before it is returned to the finance provider and replace the original plates. You then have the option of putting your plate on Retention, or you can transfer it to your new car.
If you wish to put your private registration onto a new vehicle you should follow these steps:
- Download a V317 form from the gov.uk website
- Section 1 – Select the option you are applying for
- Section 7 – Complete the Vehicle details only – the registered keeper section will be completed by the finance provider.
- Section 8 – you should leave this section blank
- Section 9 – please complete the grantee details & sign the grantee box only
The document should be send to us at the following address along with a cheque made payable to the DVLA for £80 Intelligent Car Leasing, Skypark1, 9th Floor, 8 Elliot Place, Glasgow G3 8EP. The finance provider may also charge an administration fee to process this so it is best to check with us before sending your document in case additional payment is required.